7th Annual Tin Cup Challenge
Presented by The Community Foundation of Teton Valley
When: Saturday, July 19 2014 (Rain or Shine)
Where: Driggs City Park, corner of N 1st St E and E Wallace Ave
This is a fundraising opportunity for nonprofits serving the Teton Valley. The morning’s activities are meant to celebrate and promote the power of generosity in Teton Valley, with family-friendly activities and interactive booths presented by local nonprofits, a free breakfast courtesy of McDonald’s of Jackson Hole, competitive 5K and 10K races and a 5K Fun Run/Walk.
To participate fully, make a contribution online at tincupchallenge.org
Race start, nonprofit booths, and family activities all take place at Driggs City Park, the block located between Ashley and Wallace Avenues and First and Second Streets in downtown Driggs, Idaho.
Please comply with “no parking” signs around the park and be mindful of homeowners' driveways when parking on the streets near the park. Parking allowed in the lot behind the LDS Church and Teton Valley Hospital (on the north side of Ashley Avenue).
Registration forms can be printed out from our website, tincupchallenge.org. Advance registration is available until 6 PM on July 18, 2014; to reduce errors, please consider registering online via www.Athlete360.com. (Event-day race registration fees are considerably higher than signing up beforehand.) Race day registration 7:00 AM – 8:30 AM in Driggs City Park
Race Packet Pickup:
- Race bibs and t-shirts can be picked up the week before the event (July 14th-18th) from Noon-6pm Monday and Tuesday and 9am-6pm Wednesday through Friday at the Tin Cup Registration tent on Main Street in Driggs
- Race day registration 7:00 AM – 8:30 AM in Driggs City Park (corner of Ashley and Second).
- Race packets will include both a bib with a race number and a timing chip.
- No bibs for those who take part in the 5K Fun Run / Walk.
Event Day Schedule
- 7:00 AM: Registration table opens
- 8:00 AM: Booths open in the park
- 8:30 AM: Pre-race warm-up led by Olympic triathlete Barb Lindquist of Alta
- 8:45 AM: Flag-raising ceremony and the singing of the national anthem
- 9 AM: Start of 10K and 5K races, and 5K Fun Run/Walk
- 9:30 AM: Family activities begin in the park
- 10:00 AM: Free breakfast starts to be served
- 10:30 AM: Diaper Derby in front of the stage (other competitions will be held in the games area of the park)
- 11:30 AM: Results and Awards
- 12:00 PM: Thank you for coming! (Nonprofits begin tear-down of booths.)
We encourage participation on all levels. For those with the fastest times in four categories (below), awards are in "nonprofit bucks." Race winners can select what group will receive their winnings from the list of Teton Valley nonprofits participating in the Tin Cup Challenge.
All first-place winners will receive $100, and all second-place winners will receive $75 in nonprofit bucks.
Race winners will also receive a commemorative Tin Cup hand-crafted bowl or trivet.
Runners recognized will be:
- Overall male and female winners in each race;
- Masters male and female winners in each race (runners above age 40)
- Open male and female winners in each race (runners from age 19-39)
- Youth male and female winners in each race (runners 18 and under)
The three fastest boys and girls in the “kids category” (5K racers age 12 and under) will also receive awards.
Additional recognition will be given in a number of informal and fun categories (oldest racer, youngest person not propelled in a stroller, individual costumes, group costumes, etc.)
The overall winners will be removed from the age groups before age group awards are calculated. In other words, you can only win one prize.
- Only walkers, runners, baby strollers, joggers, and wheelchairs are permitted. For safety, no other wheeled transport (bicycles, skateboards, or roller blades) is allowed.
- Run on the right side of the road.
- Police cars will escort runners and stop traffic at the 5K and 10K turnarounds.
- Dogs are welcome, providing they do not interfere with others' enjoyment! Please keep them on a short leash and pick up after them. (Mutt mitts will be provided.) No other animals are allowed.
- The races will be chip timed and may include minors, with parental consent.
- The Fun Run/Walk is not timed and may include minors, with parental consent.
For more information, call the CFTV office at (208) 354-0230 or email email@example.com
The Little Learning Academy will provide babysitting for families of runners during the Tin Cup. If you're going to need childcare, please call (208) 351-0024 to reserve your spot and to ensure they plan for the appropriate number of caregivers and location of care. The Learning Academy is a nonprofit that participates in the Tin Cup. Children will be in a safe environment either at the park itself or at the school building located a block from the park, on Second St. and Little Avenue.
Both the start and finish line will be on the North side of the park (Ashley Avenue). The all-pavement course turns onto First Avenue heading south for two blocks, then turns east on Little Avenue/Ski Hill Road, passing neighborhoods and subdivisions. The elevation of Driggs is at 6,213 feet; it is slightly uphill until the turnarounds; the loop follows the same route back downhill into the park. This year's course map is being revised; please check back for it.
- At the Start/Finish Line: Gatorade, cold water, ice, cool pops, and fruit will be provided. Free breakfast will be served starting at 10:00 AM at the Food Tent in Driggs City Park. The two aid stations on the course will stock Gatorade, cold water, and ice.
- Aid Station 1 – is located at 1.55 miles on Ski Hill Road (5K turnaround). 10K runners pass this aid station again at mile 4.6. A porta-potty is also located near this aid station.
- Aid Station 2 – is located at 3.1 miles on Ski Hill Road (10K turnaround)
Photographs, video, and results updates
We will have several volunteer photographers on the course, at the finish line, and in the park. Some of these images will be posted on the Facebook page of the Community Foundation of Teton Valley. We encourage you to like us on Facebook and share your images with us.
Our chip-timing vendor, Vector Timing of Rexburg, offers several on-site services, including immediate posting of results. To find out more, plan to visit the Vector Timing booth in the park.